Monday, November 22, 2010

Out of My Comfort Zone...

So a lot of my students go to the same church in the neighborhood that the school is in.  I actually really love the community involvement with making sure that the kids have a safe alternative to going out on the streets on a Friday night.  Some of my students invited me to the talent show they were putting on and of course I promised to be there. 

Based on what happened next, I'm guessing they don't get outsiders...

The show began at 8:00 sharp but I snuck in at around 830.  There was food everywhere and I was immediately offered a plate by one of the parents I knew.  Wings, Mac & Cheese and Greens.  I sat myself down next to two of my students and started watching the show and eating.  There were 2 MC's and the performances were incredible.  There was dancing, singing and other assortments of talent. 

About an hour into the show the one MC gets on he mic and announces second round for food:

"Alright guys there's tons of food left for everyone to get more.  I see three trays of wings left!  Come on guys!  We are Black!  We love Chicken!  Don't let any of that get thrown away!" 

The second MC shoots the first one a glance and says "Yo you can't say that man!  We got a white guy in the audience!"

So as everyone in the entire auditorium turns to look at me, I looked around, held up the wing I had already dug into and announced loudly, "It's Ok everybody, white people like Wings too!"

I went up for seconds...

No comments:

Post a Comment